The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
Cyber Security centre at the University of Kent
The Interdisciplinary Research Centre in Cyber Security at the University of Kent was established on 4 July 2012. It harnesses expertise across the University to address current and potential cyber security challenges. Its strategic objective is to promote wide-ranging multidisciplinary research, and to teach and develop skills in cyber security to its students and the wider community, through degree programmes, workshops, visits, lectures and training.
Included in its remit is to work with external organisations to promote cyber security, so if you are interested please contact the director.
See events overview (including slides of talks).
- July 2012: press release
- March 2013: Second Cyber Research Institute Launched consisting of six research teams, two of which involve Andy King. See also here.
- May 2013: Hernandez-Castro comments on cyber security on ITV Meridian.
- August 2013: first Kent Cyber Security survey, which was reported in most of the national press, by Hernandez-Castro on Radio Kent, and across the web.
- September 2013: Boiten comments on Santander attack in the Guardian.
- September 2013: Open Letter by UK cryptography and security researchers (any overlap with CryptoForma coincidental) gets a mention in the Guardian.
- September 2013: Deravi talking about iPhone fingerprint sensors on Radio 4 Inside Science (18 mins in)
- September 2013: Boiten on iPhone fingerprint sensor hack in Scientific American
- November 2013: Fairhurst edits a book on Age Factors in Biometric Processing
- December 2013: Chadwick on BBC SE news, on banking cybercrime.
- December 2013: Boiten on the UK Cyber Security Strategy update in TechDirt.
- December 2013: Boiten quoted in Pando on encryption post-Snowden and the NSA report.
- December 2013: Boiten and Hernandez-Castro on where censorship might go next.
- December 2013: Hernandez-Castro, a full page in Kent on Sunday on home computing security.
- January/February/March 2014: Boiten on NHS data sharing
- February 2014: 2nd Kent Cyber Security survey by Hernandez-Castro, Boiten, and Barnoux. News release, Full preliminary report, coverage in The Register, Techworld, AOL, the Cyberwire, phys.org, Naked Security, eSecurity Planet, USA Today, 20minutes.fr, etc. Hernandez-Castro has written more about CryptoLocker based on this.
- February 2014: Boiten in the Guardian on Facebook and privacy.
- March 2014: Boiten in Law Society debate on Surveillance.
- March 2014: Hernandez-Castro in The Conversation on CXryptoLocker, republished in many places.
- March 2014: Boiten in SC Magazine and again in April 2014.
- March 2014: Chadwick on Radio Sussex on medical test result phishing emails.
- June 2014: Boiten interviewed for The Guardian on privacy and big data
- Jun 2014: Boiten on big data and healthcare, The Conversation, republished in Business Insider and in Raw Story.
- Jul 2014: Boiten and Hernandez-Castro on Tor and cybercrime.
- Nov 2014: Hernandez-Castro in EWeek on fraud detection in the cloud.
- Nov 2014: Boiten in The Conversation and elsewhere on formal methods and the UK government.
- Feb 2015: Boiten on Google and the "right to be forgotten" in Wired and The Conversation.
- Feb 2015: Boiten on iPhone fingerprinting for banking apps in SC Magazine.