The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
Cyber Security centre at the University of Kent
The Interdisciplinary Research Centre in Cyber Security at the University of Kent was established on 4 July 2012. It harnesses expertise across the University to address current and potential cyber security challenges. Its strategic objective is to promote wide-ranging multidisciplinary research, and to teach and develop skills in cyber security to its students and the wider community, through degree programmes, workshops, visits, lectures and training.
Included in its remit is to work with external organisations to promote cyber security, so if you are interested please contact the director.
See events overview (including slides of talks).
- February 2014: 2nd Kent Cyber Security survey by Hernandez-Castro, Boiten, and Barnoux. News release, Full preliminary report, coverage so far in The Register, Techworld, AOL, the Cyberwire, phys.org, Naked Security, eSecurity Planet, etc.
- July 2012: press release
- March 2013: Second Cyber Research Institute Launched consisting of six research teams, two of which involve Andy King. See also here.
- May 2013: Hernandez-Castro comments on cyber security on ITV Meridian.
- August 2013: first Kent Cyber Security survey, which was reported in most of the national press and across the web.
- September 2013: the centre contributed to Innovation, Creativity and Enterprise event at the University.
- September 2013: Comment piece on iPhone fingerprinting by Deravi and Boiten.
- September 2013: Boiten comments on Santander attack in the Guardian.
- September 2013: Open Letter by UK cryptography and security researchers (any overlap with CryptoForma coincidental) gets a mention in the Guardian.
- September 2013: Deravi talking about iPhone fingerprint sensors on Radio 4 Inside Science (18 mins in)
- September 2013: Boiten on iPhone fingerprint sensor hack in The Conversation and Scientific American
- October 2013: Boiten on cyber robbery in The Conversation
- November 2013: Fairhurst edits a book on Age Factors in Biometric Processing
- November 2013: Boiten on internet search filters in The Conversation and again on extremist website blocking.
- December 2013: Boiten on the Rusbridger Snowden grilling, on The Conversation.
- December 2013: Chadwick on BBC SE news, on banking cybercrime.
- December 2013: Boiten on the Cyber Security Strategy update, in The Conversation and TechDirt.
- December 2013: Boiten quoted in Pando on encryption post-Snowden and the NSA report.
- December 2013: Boiten and Hernandez-Castro on where censorship might go next.
- December 2013: Hernandez-Castro, a full page in Kent on Sunday on home computing security.
- January 2014: Hernandez-Castro on European cyber security survey.
- January/February/March 2014: Boiten on NHS data sharing and anonymisation and once more on data sharing.
- February 2014: Boiten in the Guardian on Facebook and privacy.
- March 2014: Boiten in Law Society debate on Surveillance.
- March 2014: Boiten in SC Magazine.
- March 2014: Chadwick on Radio Sussex on medical test result phishing emails.